Star Trek Axanar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek Axanar

I read somewhere that they are planning to cute the film is 4 parts, to be able to crowdfund in between parts. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Well, this is something I never really understood.
    The first time I heard about the project, it was to be a series. Then it became a film.
    Now they are talking again about episodes. I do not know if they just plan to consider episodes to split the costs on different crowdfunding campaigns or if it is to deliver the story on a longer duration. here could be a film and a mini-series of the same story (a famous example is "das boote" from the book of Lothar Gunther Bucheim). I do not know what will come of this but I understand they are also doing this to have something to show the backers. Some shooting has been done, studio is still under construction/extension, sets are still growing. Alec Peters certainly feels he has to show something quickly because the term of the project is still far way and backers might not be patient enough to fund it again without results. That's the price when dealing with ST fans !

But what is certain is that there will be other fundraising campaigns since the budget has been estimated around 1.2 million dollars and the two first campaigns, while exceeding their initial goals, have not yet reached this level. It was known from the beginning that the cost would increase, but it was necessary to start operations to prove the project was real.
    Axanar is a model of communication and frequent updates allow us to know what is going on. We can not say so for other shows whose producers only know Facebook and ignore the rest of the world...

The last update I received said that the first two parts (episodes) were funded and that some scenes were already shot.
    My guess is that they could not run different campaigns for the same project so they had to split it in "episodes" for separate fundraising purpose but the result will surely be a film.

Regards,
    Nicolas.
    French subtitles -- sous-titres français

Comment

We'll wait and see next year...

New Voyages and Anaxar are going to collaborate on two vignettes.

"Two major players in the universe of Star Trek fan films announced today that they will be collaborating on a pair of vignettes that form a bridge between the two respective shows. STAR TREK: NEW VOYAGES and AXANAR’s producers provided details on their upcoming collaboration to tell the story of Garth of Izar’s rehabilitation following the events of “Whom Gods Destroy” – an episode from season three of the original Star Trek television series produced in 1967. Alec Peters, Executive Producer of AXANAR and James Cawley, the Executive Producer of STAR TREK: NEW VOYAGES said the vignettes will explore the original storyline of Garth more deeply.
      “The story takes place six months after the USS Enterprise first visited Elba II,” explained Peters. “Captain Kirk and his crew are tasked with bringing the now fully-recovered Fleet Captain Garth back to Star Fleet Command and Earth.”
      “We explore the ramifications of what happened on Elba II and before. Garth has no memory of the last ten years, so we want to know how this affects a man like Garth,” Peters continued. “How does Kirk help his hero regain his footing?” "These shorter stories are set twenty-three years after AXANAR,” Peters said. “They tie our production in with “Whom Gods Destroy” to give Garth the full resolution he deserves."

QUOTE Greg Schnitzer (co-executive producer New Voyages): As of the day before yesterday, we were planning on grabbing both vignettes at our shoot just after Hallowe'en.

Wondering when this is going to be released.... because where are still waiting for The Holiest Thing

Comment

On the Axanar blog are photo's relating to the vignette Axanar - New Voyages.

John Kelley, who played McCoy in all episodes before Mind Sifter, is once again McCoy.

http://www.axanarproductions.com/cap...-nov-4th-2015/

Comment

Just read that Axanar draws lawsuit from Paramount/CBS.

Article : http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...r_breakingnews

Lawsuit document: https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...eklawsuit.html

Bad news, wonder how this will end.... And if others will follow...

Comment

What a shame !

Alec Peters was absolutely wrong to grant himself and some others a salary. It is well known that "non-profit" is the absolute rule in that matter.

CBS goes really strong on that affair, I strongly believe that they realized the potential of axanar and that it might be significantly better than their own productions.

Both are causing prejudice to the series and I hope an agreement will be found before it goes too far. I hope too that it will not affect other fanmade productions.

Nicolas.

Comment

For those wishing to express their disapproval, the following link leads to a worldwide protest petition.
              Number of signatures is raising pretty fast !

There is very little chance for CBS to withdraw the charges but it might be interesting that fans show a strong mobilization to support a fanmade film as it is the kinf of movie they want instead of the official crap. They must know their marketing is a fail and angry fans are ready to boycott their future releases. 2016 is the worst period to set such a conflict and they could act with diplomacy: to speak never harmed anyone and could avoid this mess.

In the meantime, Alec Peters should clarifiy his position and move forward to ease the situation.

This affair could have the only benefit to unite the Star Trek fans community in difficult time.

Regards,
              Nicolas.
              On 12/29/2015 CBS and Paramount filed a lawsuit against Axanar Productions. This is an independent film studio that is creating a fan film based on the Star Trek universe. It is our intention as fans and backers of this production to show CBS and Paramount just how much we support Alec Peters and the entire crew of Axanar Productions. We ask that the lawsuit be dropped so that this film and future fan films can be produced and enjoyed by all of 'Trek' fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Petit View Post
                What a shame !

Alec Peters was absolutely wrong to grant himself and some others a salary. It is well known that "non-profit" is the absolute rule in that matter.

I think you may misunderstand "non-profit". It does not mean that no one connected with the entity can receive compensation, or that the entity cannot make a profit. It means that the entity cannot have the purpose of making a profit, and that any and all profits are kept within the entity and not paid out as dividends or any other form that would constitute a profit to anyone in or outside of the entity. Virtually all non-profits have paid staff, and some of those staff make (what I consider to be) a better living from it than they should be allowed to. However, it is perfectly legal (at least in the U.S.), and as far as I know, a commonly accepted practice. I am not a lawyer, so you would have to speak to one if you want to know more about the particulars of setting up a N.P.O.

I think CBS/Paramount's problem with Axanar is the amount of money that has been generated through crowd-funding, and the use of the phrase "professionally made". In the eyes of the studios, professional means you are going to earn a profit from the effort. Alec will have to prove that he is not going to profit from the film (as in box-office receipts, DVD sales, etc.). He will also likely bring up the other fan-based efforts as evidence that Axanar is not the only one using "copyrighted materials" from the Star Trek universe. The fact that the studios have demanded a jury trial means that they could end up losing the battle if enough of the jurors are Trek fans. It will not be impossible to have a "Trekker-free" jury, but it will be hard to accomplish.

I hope that Alec prevails in this, but I also hope that CBS/Paramount will decide to embrace fan-based offerings the way LucasFilm/Disney has. I think that will go a very long way towards making everyone happy, the studios, the producers of the fan films, and all us fans.
                Last edited by WayneCa; 01-22-2016, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Yes, I hope too that this affair will be the setting of better relations between right owners and fan producers in general. Lucas Films issued some guidelines, maybe it could be possible to imagine to go further for different stages of win-win agreements; some modulation of requirements and fees according to the quality level and commercial outcome. I don't think such a legal attack was needed to achieve what could be a progress, and as many others, I fear it is not intended so.

The amount Axanar raised is in no way an infringement to the copyright. Only the use of it could be. To claim for professional capacity level is neither a copyright infringement. It is just opposit to "amateur", which is often read as "poor quality" though it is frequently not the case. On the contrary, real amateurs take care of quality and wish to get the best possible results. The word 'amateur' is french, meaning "qui aime", translate "who is fond of". You can then find peoples using professional techniques and skills paying more attention to details than some others in business. Because they practice in dilettante, they can afford to take time to do things right without consideration for time or money.

That said, why should Axanar have to prove anything about things that do not happen ? Are CBS and Paramount lawyers reading minds and future ? They use preventive strike ? On the other hand, you consider a salary is not a personal profit ? I don't believe IRS thinks this way ;-) If Alec was just an actor hired to perform some scenes, it could be considered as a "purchase", but as a producer, a salary is a personal profit we should be able to differentiate from refunding of expenses. That is why the complaint is on both Axanar Production and Alec Peters, and possibly "some others to be named".
                  Well, let's wait for the inquiry to find actual clues, because there are many ways to construe this affair and we are not aware of the ongoing discussions between CBS and Axanar production...

Anyway, I am glad that New Voyages is clean and keeps paying attention to avoid possible legal issues. What you can not see as viewer is that the videos are sometimes changed to comply to a request from rights owners. This is only possible thanks to good communication. Wish such communication were prefered to legal complaint over Axanar...

Comment

I agree that we need to see what happens next. However, where salary is concerned, every N.P.O. I have ever heard of (where the founder is also the leader [CEO, President, Executive Producer, etc.]) the head of the organization derives their personal income from the finances derived from the work of the organization. The IRS does not, as far as I know, count this as profit. Profit would be more akin to a non-employee receiving a dividend or other income taken directly from the profits (after expenses) of the organization. Again, I am not a lawyer, so a lawyer would have to comment on this to correct me if I am mistaken. That said, I have looked into setting up non-profits in the past (1990s) and there was no regulation preventing the head of the organization from receiving a salary if they occupied a position as an officer of the organization.

Comment

You are absolutely right, NPO managers can get paid from the business of the organization, but in this particular case, the lawyers clearly stated that the problem is that it comes from using copyrighted material. If it was earned from a totally new concept, not related to any known fiction universe, there would be no problem.
                      This might be the only difference between Axanar and Phase 2, Continues, Renegades, etc. All the others put all their money in the show and have no trouble, Axanar crossed the line. and is attacked. The complaint is just a way to lead the investigation to point it out.
                      So the problem is not the salary, it is the use of copyrighted material that leads to the whole system to get money from fans and then money to be given to the very person who launched the project. The limit between honesty and abuse is so thin CBS might just want to be sure of what it is all about and say "Hey, we are dead serious about our property, don't mess with us and tell everything".

Alec Peters is a man of communication, he released 80+ updated on the fundraising pages, as well as blogs, and direct exchanges. I have no doubt he will discuss and explain his position through the now officially appointed attorneys.

In the meantime, it is good to see Ares studio to keep going forward to get ready for shooting.

Regards,
                      Nicolas.
                      Last edited by Nicolas Petit; 01-25-2016, 11:34 PM.

Comment

I see what you are saying. I had not thought of it that way. Then again, I never saw Alec as trying to profit from this venture, just trying to make sure he can keep it going. None of us can live on nothing, and I'm pretty sure in this regard all of his eggs are in the one basket. I hope that this all leads to CBS/Paramount deciding to get into "fan-franchising" similarly to Disney/Lucasfilm. It would go a long way towards making it possible for fan-based efforts to profit both the copyright holder and the entity doing the work.

Comment

Neither do I think Alec would have any bad intention, he is just unfortunate it just looks like he is. I sincerely hope he will get through it.
                          For the rest, I fully agree.
                          ;-)

Comment

Working...
                          X